The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs: 100+ Recipes that You’ll Love to Cook and Eat
(as of Nov 19,2023 16:04:32 UTC – Details)
The #1 New York Times Best Seller and IACP Award Winner!
Want to bake the most-awesome-ever cupcakes? Or surprise your family with breakfast tacos on Sunday morning? Looking for a quick snack after school? Or maybe something special for a sleepover? It’s all here. Learn to cook like a pro―it’s easier than you think.
For the first time ever, America’s Test Kitchen is bringing their scientific know-how, rigorous testing, and hands-on learning to KIDS in the kitchen!
Using kid-tested and approved recipes, America’s Test Kitchen has created THE cookbook every kid chef needs on their shelf. Whether you’re cooking for yourself, your friends, or your family, The Complete Cookbook for Young Chefs has delicious recipes that will wow!
Recipes were thoroughly tested by more than 750 kids to get them just right for cooks of all skill levels―including recipes for breakfast, snacks and beverages, dinners, desserts, and more.Step-by-step photos of tips and techniques will help young chefs feel like pros in their own kitchenTestimonials (and even some product reviews!) from kid test cooks who worked alongside America’s Test Kitchen will encourage young chefs that they truly are learning the best recipes from the best cooks.
By empowering young chefs to make their own choices in the kitchen, America’s Test Kitchen is building a new generation of confident cooks, engaged eaters, and curious experimenters.
From the Publisher
Avocado Toast with Fried Eggs (ingredients, equipment, instructions)
Serves 2; Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Time: 15 minutes
1. In small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, lemon juice, pinch salt, and pinch pepper.
2. Use butter knife to cut avocado in half. Separate halves, then remove and discard pit. Scoop avocado into bowl with lemon dressing; discard skin. Use fork to break avocado into large pieces, then mash into dressing until mostly smooth.
3. Place bread in toaster and toast until golden on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread avocado mixture evenly on toasts.
4. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over low heat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, crack eggs into second small bowl and add pinch salt and pinch pepper.
5. Increase heat to medium-high and heat oil for 1 minute (oil should be hot but not smoking). Working quickly, pour eggs into skillet, cover skillet, and cook for 1 minute.
6. Turn off heat and slide skillet to cool burner. Let sit, covered, for about 1 minute for slightly runny yolks or about 2 minutes for set yolks.
7. Use spatula to transfer 1 fried egg to each toast. Serve.
Ingredients: 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, measured separately 1 teaspoon lemon juice, squeezed from ½ lemon Salt and pepper 1 ripe avocado 2 (½-inch-thick) slices crusty bread 2 large eggs
The first meal of the day really is the most important. Kids who eat breakfast do better in school. (It’s true.) And weekend breakfasts are fun for the entire family. Start your day right!
“These pancakes are very fluffy, in a good way.” – Charlotte, 13
Snacks & Beverages
Snack food is fun. Looking for an after-school nosh or maybe something for a sleepover party? It’s all here.
“This is a quick and easy way to make popcorn.” – Hudson, 10
Cooking for Family & Friends
Making dinner is a great way to up your cooking game. And nothing says “I love you” like a home-cooked meal.
“Kind of sweet because of the sauce, but broccoli balances it.” – Mary, 9
Celebrate something special with something sweet. Bake amazing cakes and cookies or chill out with homemade ice-cream.
“Good balance of tart strawberries and sweet cream.” – Owen, 11
Publisher : Sourcebooks Explore (October 16, 2018)
Language : English
Hardcover : 208 pages
ISBN-10 : 1492670022
ISBN-13 : 978-1492670025
Reading age : 8 – 11 years, from customers
Lexile measure : IG960L
Grade level : 4 – 8
Item Weight : 1.62 pounds
Dimensions : 7.25 x 0.77 x 9.25 inches